With more than 10 years of hands-on experience in growing hosting companies for a living, I understand how difficult it is for a hosting company to differentiate their services and stand out from the crowd. Great customer service and full automation of your hosting infrastructure is a must. But what else can you do to make your services more attractive and valuable?
I recommend looking at the issues your customers are likely facing with web hosting and online e-commerce and addressing them directly with the services you offer.
So, what are the issues your customers are facing? Here are three likely culprits:
- Slow website performance
- Bad search engine page rank position
- Poor website usability
We all know that faster websites have more visitors, who visit more pages, for longer periods of time, who “like” and share these pages with friends on social networks, and who are more likely to purchase products and services.
But how important is fast website performance for your customers?
Here are some interesting facts:
- New Peer 1 Research Reveals that 81% of Consumers Won’t Shop on Slow Websites this Holiday Season
- Research from SEOmoz shows sites that have a lower "Time To First Byte” respond faster and have higher search result rankings
- Google says “Site Speed Penalty Coming To Mobile Web Sites”
- A sharp decline in conversion rate as average site load time increases from one to four seconds
- There is only 2-3 seconds difference between buyers and non-buyers
- Every second of website performance improvement delivers a 2% increase in conversions
- Every 100 millisecond of website performance improvement delivers a 1% increase in sales revenue
- Website performance also impacts SEO
How can you help your customers solve these issues and make their websites fly in the coming year?
Here are a few recommendations:
- Educate your customers about the importance of website performance
- Upsell your customers from shared hosting to more powerful VPS or a dedicated server
- Update your customers’ control panels to the latest Parallels Plesk Panel 11.5 which comes with NGINX
- Use the latest version of hosting automation solution (Parallels Business Automation Standard 4.5, Parallels Plesk Automation 11.5)
- Offer your customers multiple data center locations or Content Delivery Network services (such as CloudFlare)
- Help your customers optimize performance and usability of their website (for example, by providing basic services for free as part of your web hosting services, and upselling them to premium services for faster performance)
You can use all the above as your competitive differentiators to stand out from the crowd. Show that you care how your customers’ websites are performing.
If you are ready to learn more about the latest cutting-edge products and services from Parallels, and collaborate with more than 1,200 of your industry peers, register for Parallels Summit 2014 today.